Building a better training system
The Prime Minister, the Hon Tony Abbot MP, and the Minister for Industry, the Hon Ian Macfarlane MP, have recently made some significant announcements about the future of the VET sector.
The “skills and training sector is firmly in the national spotlight this week as the Government is announcing the most significant reforms to the vocational education and training sector in several decades” Minister Macfarlane said.
- New arrangements for supporting apprentices and their employers
- Two new innovative training programmes for young people in regional areas
- Reforms to the way ASQA operates
- A new approach to the development of training packages
- A full review of training products (training packages and accredited courses).
- Minister Macfarlane’s speech from 11 September 2014
- Minister Macfarlane’s media release from 11 September 2014
- Joint Doorstop Interview transcript from 8 September 2014
Prime Minister and Minister Macfarlane’s joint media releases from 8 September 2014:
The six objectives for VET reform
The Council of Australian Governments’ Industry and Skills Council has agreed to six objectives for the VET system. The objectives will shape VET reform to support the current and future skills needs of Australian businesses.